Suzanne Colvin, Leadership Director:
The Leadership Program at Pres has been going strong even though we are not on campus. This is truly a testament to what great leaders our students are and the training programs we have in place to develop these leaders.
On April 1st we had our first ever remote Leadership Academy Workshops. Faculty members led workshops for students on Communication, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Team Building (yes, it is possible to do team building even when you’re not physically in the same place). The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion workshop focused on the global pandemic and the different impacts it has on people from varying ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds. Students also led a workshop on Advocacy.
We also had our first remote Leadership Academy Capstone Project presented by Sarah Do and Rujula Rao. Sarah and Rujula put their leadership skills into action by leading a series of workshops called Saving the Biosphere about different ways students can reduce their negative impact on the environment. They focused on Ocean Life, Plastic Usage, Living Sustainably and Animal Testing. The Recap slides linked below contain links to the slides they used for each workshop as well as an overview of each session. Also impressive is that 141 students participated in at least 1 of their workshops!
Presentation Recap Slides
ASB and Student Council
The ASB officers and Student Council Members have been very busy for the last 8 weeks! Below are a few examples of what they have been up to:
- They created a beautiful video for faculty appreciation week and sent personalized appreciation slides to every faculty member.
- ASB created a quarantine BINGO to give students something fun to do while they were at home.
- They created and maintain the phs_asb Instagram account. They are using the account to celebrate the college acceptances of our seniors and to stay in touch with the student body on Social Media.
- Officers worked with seniors to create a fun video to remember Prom in quarantine:
We also had our first ever virtual elections and successfully elected the ASB, Panther Pride, and Class Level Officers for the 2020-2021 School year.
We had several students propose clubs for the 2020-2021 school year and we are excited to announce that the following clubs will be joining the Pres community next year:
- Psychology Club
- Treats for Eats Baking Club
- Acts of Random Kindness Club
- Gaming Corner Club
Our Clubs have been very active while Sheltering in Place. In addition to having regular meetings, club officers have been providing their members with ways to put their interests into action:
- Students for Political Action Club were encouraged to volunteer at Sacred Heart’s census phone banking to encourage people to participate in the census.
- Members of Presentation Animal Wellness Club were encouraged to consider fostering animals to alleviate the animal sheltering crisis that is occurring as the result of COVID-19.
- Bring Change 2 Mind members were encouraged to participate in a #NoNormal wellness PSA campaign.